“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Monday, March 8, 2010

Surfing...

Surfing was incredible. I went into this thinking that I would totally hate it but I really enjoyed it. Our surfing teacher was named Wayne Hill and is a total surf bum. Literally. He lives in essentially a shack, spends his time teaching people how to surf and making his own boards. Oh and also he hasn't worn shoes in over 20 years. His feet look like hobbits feet. I'm not even joking.

So the first few days of surfing were awesome. We practiced pop-ups which is where you pop up onto a board and catch a wave and then they just threw us in the water and let us go crazy. The first few times I tried it I ate a whole lot of salt water, but then I really started to get the hang of it and it's awesome.

By the end of our surfing adventure I was able to catch a lot of waves and could even stand up! Well mostly stand up. I had one leg up and one knee bent. It takes a lot more arm strength then I really possess to pop yourself up on a surfboard while your on a wave. It's is also very hard to balance while standing up.

One not so lovely thing that happened is that I got hit in the head with another girls surfboard one day while I was surfing. She didn't have a good hold of it and a wave caught it and smashed it against my head. I got a huge goose egg from it and was out of surfing for the rest of the day.

The other awesome thing was that I wasn't scared of sharks! I was totally worried that I wouldn't be able to surf because I'm to scared of them but while I was out there all you can think about is can I catch this wave and your just worried about the board and the waves. Of course I also strategically placed myself between other people in case a shark did bite someone I wouldn't be the first one he went for.

0 comments: